NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Exactly what CSS do I need to ship?  (Read 2619 times)

springguy

• View Profile
    • Email
Exactly what CSS do I need to ship?
« on: January 11, 2013, 06:45:53 PM »
NT 6.48
I have a custom.css file that I have included in the gzip process. When I run the server on my local system, the effects of the custom.css are applied.  But, when it is running on my customer's system, the effects of the css are not applied.

When I look at the page with firebug, I can see that the custom.css elements are being requested by the server, but the effect is not applied.  It doesn't matter what brower is used.

I've copied over the entire \styles folder to the customer's system, but no joy.  Hmmm... so any thoughts about why the custom css is not being recognized?   
Thanks,
Mike Springer

Rene Simons

• View Profile
Re: Exactly what CSS do I need to ship?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 04:29:29 PM »
He Mike,
Did you add the css file to the styles folder in the web folder before you added it to the gzip ?
Rene
Rene Simons
NT14.14

springguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 02:28:02 AM »
Hi Rene,
Yes, that is what is weird.  When I run the app on a local machine where we do the development, all is good.  It runs fine and the css that is in the custom.css file is properly applied.  It is when it is distributed to the customer where it does not get applied.  If you look at the page that is being served on the customer machine, it looks fine - the custom css is being requested, but the effect is not being displayed.

The custom.css file is in the \web\styles folder.  The custom.css file is in the web server's styles\files entry.

Two questions, I guess. 

1. What exactly is the required CSS file(s) that need to be distributed and what folder needs to be present.  I thought it was simply the all.css.gz file in the \web\styles folder.

In this case, to be sure, I ended up distributing the entire \styles folder from my development system.

2. Is it possible that something is broken in the gzip process?   If I uncheck the serve pre-compressed files and uncheck the combine common files on the server's styles\advanced tab, and distribute the entire \web\styles folder, is there any advantage from a troubleshooting point of view?  If it works, in that mode, what exactly does that tell me?

Mike

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 09:07:46 PM »
Hi Mike,

>> I thought it was simply the all.css.gz file in the \web\styles folder.

Also you should ship all.css as not all browsers support compressed files. But these, from the styles file, are not used.

Plus of course you need to ship the "themes" folders as well. It's actually the all.css in the _theme_ folder that is served to the browser.

It's easy to see what the page needs, and what it can or can't get. In firefox right click on the page and select "view source". The list of css files is at the top of the page. If you click on a name in the list you can see the file.

cheers
Bruce

springguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 06:15:12 AM »
Bruce,
That is exactly what the problem was - I had not shipped the updated Themes folder. 

Your advice to look at the page source in the browser and see what css files are being sent was a great suggestion, too!  If I had done that, it would have immediately answered the question as to why the custom.css was not being applied.

You are Da' Man!
Thanks!
Mike