NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Multiple Lookups on a form not working on Mobile Devices  (Read 5224 times)

BColladay

• View Profile
    • Email
Multiple Lookups on a form not working on Mobile Devices
« on: November 17, 2010, 03:04:35 PM »
Stats:
Clarion 7.2 7600
NetTalk 5.1.0.0

We are developing a website on NTWS that is initially dedicated to mobile use: iOS, Android. 

There is one item that isn't working so swell.  We have a section called "Rounds" and when you go to insert one it opens a form to insert new data and 4 of the 5 fields have table lookups.

The first two lookups do fine but when you go to the third one, it starts wiping out the previous field.  Fill in field 3, 2 goes blank, fill in 4, 3 goes blank.

Again this happens only on the iOS and Android browser, but not on Safari or Chrome on the desktop.  Both mobile devices have java script enabled but I am guessing that it is java script related.

If you would like to see it in action here is how to do it:
On an iPhone, iPod touch or Android 2.1 or higher device go to:
http://securemobile.pdswebpro.com:89 in the browser

Client ID = Training Clinic
User ID = BJ
Password = [no password - blank]
Provider ID = 100
touch the blue and white check mark.-->

From the menu, choose "Rounds" -->
Click the + button to insert a new record-->

From here you can use the lookups to fill in the form fields,  you should notice the anomaly when you get to "Location ID"

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Lookups on a form not working on Mobile Devices
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 02:53:03 AM »
Hi Ben,

I tried using it as you described (I added Sissy Hurst to room 23) but the lookups seemed ok from here.

Did you perchance change something?

I'm using Firefox to access the page - does this make a difference? If you access it from FF do you get the same effect? what about in Chrome or Safari?

Cheers
Bruce

BColladay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 04:27:57 AM »
Bruce,

This only happens on mobile device browsers, it works fine on desktop browsers.  If you could, try it on a iPod touch or Android phone.

thanks

BColladay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 06:47:57 AM »
I shot a very bad quality video of the behavior.  at about 0:55 you can see when populating the third field from the lookup, the second field gets blanked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOTW87Djypo

BColladay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 06:48:57 AM »
Oh and just for kicks, I tried this on Android with the opera mobile browser, and it works correctly. ??? ???

BColladay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 09:41:27 AM »
Also works for Opera on iPhone.  Which led me to another discovery that may be part of the puzzle.

On the failing platforms:  Android/Browser & iOS/Safari, the fields that are disappearing are truncated when they are filled in.

So Instead of Jackson, Bill, I get Jacks on the field that will disappear shortly.

better screen shots to follow.

BColladay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 01:55:04 PM »
So, as it turns out, if you should ever run into this...you need to set the max field length to something that will hold your data.

If you don't and the picture is too small, when the truncated string is passed back to your server, it will say "what is this rubbish" and will clear the truncated field.

The real "bug" is in the desktop versions of the browsers.  It would allow the web process to put more characters in the field than it would allow you to type.  So if the field was restricted to 5 characters, it would allow 120 characters to be filled in by the web process, but if you tried to type the same string it would stop accepting characters after 5 strokes.

Thanks, this has been therapeutic.

Bob

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 01:20:18 AM »
Thanks for the analysis Bob - it's certainly a good behaviour to know about!