NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Virtual URL for Downloads  (Read 6602 times)

Wolfgang Orth

• View Profile
    • oData Wolfgang Orth
Virtual URL for Downloads
« on: September 15, 2009, 09:17:45 AM »
Hello all,

is it possible to have a "virtual URL" to download a file from?

The idea is to offer a download-link, which is not really existing, sort of.

A visitor gets to a form, enters some data like a code or his name or anything alike, then he gets pointed to or gets offered a download-link, which ought to be unique for this moment.

This means, a visitor, of course, could save that URL and pass it to someone else, but it wouldn't work there. Something like www.server.com/YxPpTtGgNnUuEeWw/FILE.ZIP

The other idea is to generate a sessionvariable, like TODAY() & CLOCK(), and passing this as parameter.

And only when the parameter = sessionvariable the download starts.

This would work, but the user still could slip by and type the URL to fetch the ZIP.

Then I found p_web._SendFile( filename, header).

This can be called in a webpage where you need to be logged in, which can be achieved automatically with parameter = sessionvariable. And it works fine, as long as the file that gets sent, is a non-binary file. My ZIP is also handled as non-binary, the screen is spilled over with special characters...

Is p_web._SendFile() the appropriate method at all?

What would be better?

I hope my description was not too clumsy.

PS: p_web._SendFile( filename, header) - if filename is relative, it needs to be relative to the EXE, i.o.w. './web/file.zip'.  Just for info if you plan to use it yourself.

ccordes

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Virtual URL for Downloads
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:37:47 AM »
neat idea.
If you have your form save the filename to send and the 1-time key, the user could have a link given to them like www.server.com/download?q=YxPpTtGgNnUuEeWw/FILE.ZIP
That would pass the key as a parameter to the downloader.
The downloader can look up the key and verify if it had been downloaded before or if they waited too long, etc.

chris
Real programmers use copy con newapp.exe

kevin plummer

• View Profile
    • Production Accounting and Software Payroll
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 07:33:35 PM »
sounds like you worked it out but you could of course just create a temp folder using their sessionID, copy the file to that folder and delete the folder and file when the session expires.

I do a similar thing with attachments so they are served up from the username folder rather than a general folder where users could possibly guess existing file names.

ccordes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 05:47:28 AM »
That's true but you can't send them an email with invoice/instructions with the link so they can get it later. And tell if they actually went to get the file.

I do create sub directories for data uploads and batch imports based on the user name

chris

Wolfgang Orth

• View Profile
    • oData Wolfgang Orth
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:42:40 AM »
but you could of course just create a temp folder using their sessionID, copy the file to that folder and delete the folder and file when the session expires.

I had this in my mind too, but suspected relics after downloads, but yes, when the session expires (should not before a 50 MB download is done, right) is a good moment to cleanup.

I will weigh this idea again - thx, Kevin!

Wolfgang Orth

• View Profile
    • oData Wolfgang Orth
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 09:46:08 AM »
...them like www.server.com/download?q=YxPpTtGgNnUuEeWw/FILE.ZIP
That would pass the key as a parameter to the downloader.
hmm, yes, but this would still require a viable d/l-link on that page, or?

ccordes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 11:15:37 AM »
I would think that the download page would have a submit button on it and that the passed parameters - the download key would setup the page to download the requested file.

chris