NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Safe number of records in TPS database  (Read 3492 times)

rupertvz

• View Profile
    • Email
Safe number of records in TPS database
« on: June 14, 2016, 02:37:53 PM »
Hi Guys,

I guess the question answer is relative;

However, has anyone handled large datasets in TPS database for NT app?

From which record-number should I consider upgrading to SQL database instead?

bijan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Safe number of records in TPS database
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 03:33:27 PM »
Hi

This really depends on the function of your webserver app.

How many users will be accessing the same tps table at the same time?
Is this a heads down data entry system or just a reporting system?

A webapp with multiple users will perform much better than a regular win32 app since you are not sharing an exe or using a LAN. The question is how many people will be inserting or deleting records in a tps file at the same time. If you are using separate tps files for different companies this shouldn't be a problem. However, if you have lots of people inserting/deleting in the same tps file, you will start to see slow response. You can have millions of records in a tps file and if you have proper keys you won't  have any issues, even with reports.

One other main advantage is that will rarely see corrupted tps tables.

I would say go the tps route and if you see any speed issues, try to solve it by using better indexing. If you see issues converting to SQL using FM3 is not that hard.

I am sure other people here and Bruce might have different opinion on this. That's my experience.

Regards

Bijan

terryd

• View Profile
    • Davcomm
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 09:50:57 PM »
Hi Rupert
A point to consider is the creation of reports.
 The SQLserver will be a lot more efficient in generating reports using  Select statements.
In addition if your client is SQL savvy he may want to extract data himself (not saying it's a good idea but anybody who can control his clients please tell me how ;-)
Alternatively a separate Clarion win32 app based application can be used to extract the data working in conjunction with  NTW .
I have this problem myself as my clients tend to want a lot of ad-hoc information from the system.
The SQL route works well in this situation since if necessary I can extract the data directly from the SQL database rather than having to write a Clarion report.
However TPS works well with NTW, no real lag in accessing information with browses although as Bijan mentions writing records can slow down as the database increases in size.
Terry Davidson
Windows 10 64 bit/Windows7 64bit
Clarion 9.1.11529/Clarion10 12567
Nettalk 913
Nettalk 1015
StringTheory267/Winevent515/XFiles298/MessageBox239/Cryptonite186

rupertvz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 01:51:08 AM »
Thanks for the valuable information guys,