NetTalk Central

Author Topic: record not found: (5) error (0) from key xxxxxxx  (Read 2518 times)

hilton

• View Profile
record not found: (5) error (0) from key xxxxxxx
« on: June 25, 2011, 10:15:10 PM »
Hi Folks,

I have been ensuring that my programs are ok for multiple users and checking concurrency.  To that end I tried:

1. having two sessions running in the same browser (each in its own tag) and inevitably the above error will occur in one session.  Initially, each session had the same sessionid.  I changed things to ensure that a new sessionId was allocated on login/logout.  The result were the same.

2. I then tried the same thing using the example Web1.  This uses popup forms for the updates and the problem manifested itself by only allowing one of the sessions to update the record and the other would not respond to SAVE.  I guess that's because the error message does not appear when a popup form,however, it was aware of some problem.

3. I then changed my stuff to use a popup form and got the same result as 2 above.

4. My next trick was to use two different browsers, namely, msie9 and firefox.  In this configuration it all worked ok.

5. I also tried the test using two instances of the same browser and got the same result as 2 above.

I have checked that I am using the same single field unique key for both browse and update.  I did check previous references to this topic, but could not find anything that resolved my apparent problem.

I guess the intention is to allow a user to use a number of tags in a browser and knowing users, someone is going to have the same procedure opened at the same time in different tags or different instances of the same browser.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Hilton.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: record not found: (5) error (0) from key xxxxxxx
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 03:35:32 AM »
Hi Hilton,

Sorry - but you're fighting the tide here. Some background info here will be helpful.

Firstly, browsers give no indication which tab a request is made from. From the servers point of view, there are no "tabs". There's just a browser making requests. So it's not possibly to have two users logged in from the same browser.

Secondly, browsers behave differently when it comes to multiple "instances". IE, for example treats each instance differently, and each can have a unique session id. But other browsers (like FireFox) are actually all one instance, even if you "run" it multiple times.

So this approach for testing multiple users is flawed. You'll need to test from multiple machines. Or you can run one instance of each browser (IE, FF, Chrome, Safari, Opera) on the same machine.

Cheers
Bruce

hilton

• View Profile
Re: record not found: (5) error (0) from key xxxxxxx
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 05:54:15 PM »
Hello Bruce,

Thank you for that information - I will have to think on it for a while and do some experimenting.  Your time is appreciated.

Bye,
Hilton.