NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Question about forwarding a domain name to an IP address - sort of Off Topic  (Read 4077 times)

Mike Grigsby

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - onthedotsoftware
    • View Profile
    • MyHomeAssets! Software (among others)
My clients are complaining because I set them up through Godaddy and use the forwarding of their domain to the static IP address of their in-house computer. So http://www.theirdomain.com goes to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80/LoginPage. Then, as long as they are in the application, everything in the URL points to the IP address and not the domain name URL.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before? Maybe using a local DNS software or something to fix it? Thanks for any ideas!
Mike Grigsby
Credify Systems
Central Oregon, USA

Rob Mikkelsen

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - flashpott
    • View Profile
    • Email
I think that the information at GoDaddy is counterintuitive.  I have a test URL set to forward to my personal PC at a specific IP address.  I set it up as a termporary forward and the URL displays instead of the IP address.

I think the mask feature actually masks the URL of the site you are forwarding to, not the site you are forwarding.

Regardless, the simple forward option works for me.

Rob

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 11:19:34 AM by flashpot »

Mike Grigsby

• View Profile
I'm not sure I follow you. You mean you always see a URL and not an IP?
Mike Grigsby
Credify Systems
Central Oregon, USA

Rob Mikkelsen

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - flashpott
    • View Profile
    • Email
Absolutely.  No IP address is displayed.  I have www.neinonline.com forwarded to my personal computer for testing of a site I am developing. This is set up as a temporary forward, no masking.  I am sure that I could set it as permanent.  Bizarre, I know, but worth a try.

I think that the masking actually changes the URL that you have typed to reflect the location to which it is forwarded.  Nonmasking retains the URL that you typed.  As I said, counterintuitive.  Maybe this is an anomaly, but it sure works for me.

Attached is a .jpg of how I have the settings.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mike Grigsby

• View Profile
Interesting; that doesn't work for me. But I am trying it with masking, which seems to indicate what I should be doing. I'll see how that goes. Takes awhile before the changes get updated.
Mike Grigsby
Credify Systems
Central Oregon, USA