NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Microsoft Security Essentials  (Read 3329 times)

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
Microsoft Security Essentials
« on: December 31, 2014, 12:41:04 AM »
Hi

Has anyone heard the story that Microsoft Security Essentials (or Defender) corrupts TPS files.  I heard this from a friend who is coding Windows apps in Clarion and he said that there was a lot of talk about It on comp.lang.clarion and suggestions about changing to SQL.

This sounds incredible.  Defender runs on my development machine and I have never had a TPS corruption.

Is there any truth to this and if so, why would it be?

Keith
Clarion 10.0.0 build 12799
NetTalk 9.31
StringTheory 2.65
InsightGraphing 2.27

oggy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Microsoft Security Essentials
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 01:47:02 AM »
In multi-user envirovment, where more than one station works on tps files, even excluding the tps files and directory where bases is, we have more than one corruption daily...  So where MS Essential is installed our programs cannot start, we put "MS Essential check"
Regards, Oggy

frankacosta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 12:50:17 PM »
I have had the problem for years with this crap security program, i just tell my clients they or i have to remove it or i wont fix their data!  it can be on just one workstation so make sure you check all the workstations.  I believe it has something to do with some sort of delayed write back that security essentials uses.  There are plenty of replacement free virus software out there and i usually take the time and install something like AVG free to replace it, usually the clients dont care what they have as long as its free!
Frank

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 01:01:04 PM »
Thanks guys, I will make sure its not running on our server.

Keith
Clarion 10.0.0 build 12799
NetTalk 9.31
StringTheory 2.65
InsightGraphing 2.27