NetTalk Central

Author Topic: SSL won't serve up pages?!?  (Read 2524 times)

Devan

• View Profile
    • Email
SSL won't serve up pages?!?
« on: May 21, 2013, 01:08:53 AM »
Hey all,

Just dabbling in my first SSL server for a project.

Using NetTalk 6.51.  I've applied for a wildcard certificate from GoDaddy.  All went well.  I downloaded the CRT file and copied the KEY file into the app/certificates folder.   I turned off the 'Supress Error Messages'.  I was initially getting the error 65 because my certificate names didn't match, but I fixed that so I am not getting any errors coming up.

The NT server starts up OK (no errors) but when I try and test https://localhost, I get nothing.  The NT server screen shows no traffic and my browsers time out.  I've checked the DebugView logs etc. but no errors are logged.  I've made sure the 4 SSL DLL files are copied into this folder as well.

I've tried a couple of different browsers, and running the server app on two different machines.  Same results all around.

I've run Fiddler and am getting '502' errors when the browser is trying to connect to the local NT server.

I turn OFF the SSL checkbox and access the NT app with just http://localhost and it WORKS!

Just won't deliver anything via SSL and not telling me anything useful that points me in the right direction to try and fix it.

Help!

Thanks,
Devan

Devan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SSL won't serve up pages?!?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 01:18:50 AM »
SOLVED!

Gah!  Rookie mistake.

I didn't realise that the port number you set (in my case port 88) was STILL the port number to use over an SSL connection !!

Immediately under the checkbox for the SSL option in NetTalk, it says "The default port for a secure server is 443".  I assumed that this meant the port would AUTOMATICALLY be 443 when "Use SSL to make server secure" was checked, and the entered port number would be superflous.

Turns out I was wrong... as I often am... :)

Perhaps this prompt string could be reworded as: "The default port for a secure server should be 443" ?  ;D

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: SSL won't serve up pages?!?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 10:24:51 PM »
I've changed the text to read;
FYI: Common port for HTTP is 80, for SSL is 443
and moved it directly under the "Listen on Port Number" field.

I've also updated the docs for the next build
www.capesoft.com/docs/NetTalk7/NetTalkWebFunctionality.htm#ListenOnPortNumber
(this link will only work once 7.11 is released.)

I'm not 100% sure the new FYI would have avoided your misunderstanding, (and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have read the doc) but at least we can all laugh at the next guy who makes the same mistake :)

Cheers
Bruce