NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Using Locator on Multi Fields  (Read 2357 times)

gavinwebb

• View Profile
    • Email
Using Locator on Multi Fields
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:14:36 PM »
I have a table with surname and firstname fields.  I have used the setting - Locate on fields (csl) and entered the following: PAT:Surname,PAT:Firstname - done this on both fields in the browse.

I have tried setting the locator to Search and Contains and my results are similar.  I have two patients:
Joe Bloggs
Sarah Bloggs

If I type Bloggs or bl into the search they both come up - fine.
If I type Joe or J then it finds Joe Bloggs - fine.
However if I try searching on both words I get nothing - even if I type in Joe Bloggs.

What am I doing wrong?

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Using Locator on Multi Fields
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 01:28:59 AM »
Hi Gavin,

yeah, ok, I see what's happening. You're searching across the two columns, but you're wanting to find the case where one term is in one column, and the other term is in the other column.

currently the search is applied on multiple columns, but it's looking for a column that matches both terms. And obviously that doesn't exist.

For 6.27 I've simplified it so it joins the columns together, before doing the search - ie it's checking the sub terms against the combined result once, rather than against each part of the result individually.

this applies to the "search" locator, the "contains" locator operates as before. (it is difficult to conceptualize a case where contains would span over the column boundary.)

cheers
Bruce

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:34:10 AM by Bruce »